Monday, October 29, 2012

"I wish my life was Twilight.."


Another article written for Teen.com  defending my ultimate Twilight obsession: 

I dream of my high school being filled with Edward Cullen-like monsters. I wish I could be the most awkward “new girl” in the entire high school, falling face first after each bend, and still manage to score the stud. I dream that the boys in my grade sparkled as the sun grazed their pure, and untouched pale skin; not just when they’re dripping with foul-smelling sweat following gym class. I wish I could legally alter my all too mainstream name to Bella Swan. I wish my future boyfriend would whisk me away just before my English final, throw me on his back, and run his way up to an unknown meadow. I wish my life was Twilight.
I was in 5th grade as I sat down at the movie theatre. Popcorn in tow. With my overly-indulged teenage sister, who could not hinder her enthralling tale of this vampire. She dragged me all the way to my plush red seat, plopped me down and stared at the screen as if the scenario were her own. Drool, tears, smiles, and all, my sister had walked me to the front door of my future passion.
In present day, audiences have become cautiously sensitive to the messages which Hollywood feeds them. The subjugation of women is an extreme danger zone in which writers, actors, and directors often seem oblivious towards. No matter the Oscar-worthy acting the film provided. Despite the words it may explain. If that message is clouded by a stereotypical front, a bad name will be plastered over the title. As the world of Twilight has unfolded before our eyes, fan bases grown; anti-Twilight(ers) have become diligent in the field of hating. I, too, am guilty of questioning the real message this vampire is offering the throngs of teenagers swooning over its magnificence. However, after watching each sequel 100’s of times (maybe nearing thousands) I have reached the realization that no franchise could grace over more powerful notions.
Summit
The idea that we must accept our peers for what lies beneath the surface, rather than a monstrous title. The vital message that we must be flexible with our plans; especially the ones which include becoming pregnant with a vampire baby and having it ripped from our bellies. The understanding that falling in love comes with struggles, however, if that feeling is sustainable, no obstacle will prove too large. The notion that we do not have to be known as the “it” girl to seek you’re personal prince charming! Twilight has so effortlessly proved to me, that sometimes we must hold back. We must be patient. We must be different. To stand out with a bright lining, in the eyes of the onlooker.
This movie must not be seen as one, filled with anti-feminist slurs and stereotypical circumstances. Sure, one might choose to see a young woman who must be saved by her lover in order to survive. Or choose to take away the message that as a women, we must be altered to fit standards of unattainable realities. Twilight is a tale of true perseverance. This saga has provided the uplifting faith that true love will discover you in a blinding moment. That prince charming comes in many forms. That a devilish title should never act as a deciding factor of ones affection. Love is funny thing. Love has not one definition, but rather a blank line just awaiting a filled in answer.
Twilight — it is a passion, a dream, a hope, a wish, a tale, an inspiration. Twilight is a blatant reality present in each of our lives. However it is up to each of us, to seek those irreplaceable Edward Cullen-like figures, and hold on to them with everything we are. Go live your Twilight. Go enjoy your New Moon. Go be your own Eclipse. Go create your Breaking Dawn. And allow these messages to find their place in your heart, and remain always.
And don’t forget to witness the epic finale that will live forever — Breaking Dawn: Part 2 hits theaters November 16th. See ya at the midnight screening!


Read more: http://www.teen.com/2012/10/29/movies/teen-columnist-breaking-dawn-part-2/#ixzz2AjhzuBYb

No comments:

Post a Comment